The Monte Rosa gold mines
According to some historical sources, as early as the 16th century the Scarognini family of Varallo Sesia was mining the gold deposits of Monte Rosa. Reliable records only date from 1592, when a number of local residents requested and obtained permission to mine from the governor of Milan. Throughout the 17th century, mining operations were carried out mainly by the D’Adda family of Milan, who were related to the Scarognini family.
In 1707, Valsesia was ceded to the House of Savoy under the Treaty of Turin, signed in 1703. The Piedmontese state gradually took over the direct management of the mines. The mines at Alagna attracted a large number of miners, who helped to transform the demographic and social life of the village.
The complex known as the ‘Fabbrica di San Lorenzo’ in Alagna Valsesia is all that remains of the three buildings that made up the ‘gold district’ known as ‘Kreas’ at the end of the 19th century. Inside, you can see four large mills for crushing gold-bearing ore, which were replaced at the end of the 19th century. The vast gold-refining complex was built in the 18th century near the “Cava Vecchia”, which had already been known and used in the previous century. Another very well-preserved building is that of Santa Maria.